Tuesday, July 21, 2015

What is the collective noun for 6mm figures?

I don't know, but this is what it looks like:

A  mess of guns and some cavalry.

Sorted out some of the infantry on this tray.

More troops - mix of French, British, Austrians, Spanish, Portuguese and ?.

I like these guys - British rifles by Irregular (my guess). 

More troops.

And still more.

But wait, there is more.

Even sprayed out they are two layers here and each layer is of multiple bags.

James of the ANF was the source of this bonanza and at least some of these belonged to his dad and Tony (I won't say any more on their source as I don'y know the details - perhaps James might contribute via the comments).

I have a soft spot for Heroics and Ros having used them to build a 6mm army in the early 1990s.

What to do with them?  With my first army I based them for Napoleon's Battles using 15mm basing, but my current thinking is to go for big bases for Blucher.  At 3.5 inches wide and 2.5 inches deep a big base provides an opportunity to host a good number of 6mm figures in an attempt to represent the brigade formation used in Blucher (at least I hope it does).

So, here are some potential configurations: 




I'm currently reviewing blogs and forums and anything else I can find to get ideas.  There is a lot of inspiring and informative stuff out there.

One of my first decisions will be do I build for a specific Order of Battle (the 100 Days being an obvious one) or do I go generic (and if I go generic do I need to be flexible or do I have enough just to create bases in a good variety of configurations).

Whatever I do I want to avoid anything that is fiddly, mounting troops on plinth like bases and overpowering the resultant bases with labels.

10 comments:

  1. That is certainly a sh*tload of figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, but not sure I can use that word for the collective noun. I am currently thinking "an impossibility" of 6mm figures.

      Delete
  2. The collective noun is now "a joy" of six.

    http://www.thejoyof6.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it was a little bit too far for me to travel to get there, but yes, "a joy" of six has a good ring to it.

      Delete
  3. I thought it might have been a short sharp shower of shi...ny toys....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if it is a blessing or a curse. Settling on a base regime will be the test.

      Delete
  4. I think the term may be "beginning!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but the beginning of what?

      Actually, it is more of a return, given they are Heroics and Ros.

      The test will be if I can getting them based and looking nice.

      Delete
  5. Quite an enterprise you're embarking on :)
    Have you even counted them all...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Counting has completed with the unpainted lot.

      Delete