Monday, January 6, 2020

Year in Review

Napoleon’s Battles got a welcome work out with recreating the Battle of Auerstadt, and a couple of goes at Scenario One and a game using Scharnhorst to set up an interesting encounter.  I also agonised over markers, labels etc for use with this rule set (and others).

Computer games were Hearts of Iron IV playing France which I blogged, and later playing Romania which I didn’t blog along with Europa Universalis (France again) and my crushing addiction Everquest (where my long suffering wizard went from level 100 to Level 106 and rising). I don’t/didn’t blog these.

Boardgames were a dominant feature and included Holland’44, Ardennes’44, Fortress Europa, The African Campaign and amazingly World in Flames.  This included some play throughs using Vassal.  Oh, and I can’t forget Amoeba Wars.

There were only a few fantasy games using Songs of Blades and Heroes.  A few Wings of Glory Games.

Rommel was a big focus and saw an evolution to using hexes as well as more figures and kit added to my 15mm WW2 armies.

Probably the main miniatures game I played was Impetus in its various guises and my Byzantine Army handled itself well.  It received numerous reinforcements and even a trophy: a highlight of the year which I modestly didn’t blog was winning my club’s Ancients and Medieval League trophy.  Yeah me!



In reviewing 2019 I see I got a substantial indexing of my Military Modelling magazines completed. I fear with the wealth of information on the Internet these old magazines are a bit redundant (and space occupiers), however they can’t be beat for nostalgia.

9 comments:

  1. Commendable year at the gaming table for you, Mark! I enjoyed following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, much appreciated. This is also the start of my tenth year of blogging. I must admit that keeping this blog has been an excellent "force multiplier" for my enjoyment of the hobby.

      Delete
    2. Congratulations on 10 years of blogging! I am in my 7th and, like you, have really enjoyed the added dimension that blogging has added to my hobby enjoyment.

      Delete
  2. A nice sum up of 2019. Congratulations on your wins. All the best with your 2020 projects

    Cheers
    Matt
    French Wargame Holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. All the best for you and your enterprise.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I'm tempted to outline some objectives for 2020 one of which will have to be Pz Group Guderian.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Looks good on the mantelpiece. Sadly I only have it for a year unless I can repeat my success. Practice game tonight!

      Delete