Thursday, March 28, 2019

Nikephorian Byzantines versus Empire of Nicea

Last night it was time for my Byzantines to face Olivier's Imperials again (the previous battle had been on 1 November last year).

 Deployment.  I had the advantage as attacker.

 We both pushed our skirmishers into the woods on our respective right flanks.

 The bow fire from my legions has immediate effect.

 Now things start to get interesting.
I just love the maneuverability of light cavalry.

 The enemy knights charge, running down some of my archers.
Meanwhile note that unlike my skirmishers, the enemy's are lost in the wood.

 How can my side fail when it is carrying an icon of Saint Zoe?

 The enemy knights are not doing that well against my legions
and it is about to get a lot worse for them...

 They survive the discipline test after taking casualties for being struck in the rear.
I play the Betrayal card.  It worked last time I fought them.
But no, this time they again throw a 1.  Grrr!

However their time was up and a charge by my general caused their demise.

At this point poor Olivier conceded.  I must admit I had been reasonably lucky, getting the hits when I needed them, and I had the skills (as in I knew the rules).  But it was all down to my Byzantines and Saint Zoe.


4 comments:

  1. I do enjoy reading these reports. What I like is the pretty decent looking battles you are getting with a not overlarge army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Basic Impetus is like the next step up on DBA.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Olivier reckons that the Betrayal Ace in the Hole is not in my character. I think he might be right as I have found it to be mostly a dud. I'm better with Saint Zoe.

      Delete