Saturday, April 2, 2022

A Helping Hand

This is a rescue mission of sorts.  The rider was being disposed of by Simon along with some other figures.  There was a horse, but it was the wrong kind.  Happily I was able to find a horse (which might or most probably had come from one of Dave's disposals).  It was only when I had finished painting the horse that I realized the rider was missing a hand (I thought it was tucked under the tunic holding the reins or something).

I um'd and ah'd till the thought came to me that the Sudan figures I painted up a few years back had provided a variety of spare hands clutching swords etc.  Could I find them?  No :-(

But then I thought, surely Carlo might have some spares.  He did.  He was also in isolation due to Covid proximity.  But he came through with a few options, one of with was a British officer's arm holding a sword.  Perfect!

Oh, shouldn't this guy have a curved blade?  Well that maybe, but looking at the scabbard, that looks like a straight sword to me.   

The sword was trimmed to size, the hand separated from the arm, a tiny hole made in each end and a pin inserted to help secure the sword hand to its new owner.  I was glad I was doing this in 28mm as it was fiddly. 

Best of all, after a lick of paint, project was completed.  



Note scabbard

Next to see if I can feature him in a game of Songs of Drums and Shakos.

PS

Here is a before pic (one that I used to trigger Carlo's emotions into lending a hand)




6 comments:

  1. A nice bit if field surgery there...the results speak for themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I thought the figure too nice to let go to waste.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks. Not sure where Simon sourced the figure from. I should put up a before picture.

      Delete
  3. Excellent work Mark on that hand. Glad to be of some limited assistance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Not only am I pleased with the result, I'm chuffed I finished it.

      Delete