Friday, January 8, 2021

Spanish Imperial versus Late Imperial Roman

As part of preparation for the club's Impetus League I mocked up a Spanish Imperial army from my Hellenistic and Burgundian armies.  Most were as depicted if not exactly historically accurate :-!

Just the longbowmen are armed with harqubuse, that's all.  Oh, and the pike were in old style dress.

My belief that the Dice Gods do not favour such a mix was borne out yet again.

However the aim was to give Dave's Roman some practice against the Spanish Imperials.

I had the advantage of deploying second 
and went for what I thought might be a bit of a supporting defensive formation.

The Romans advance.
The Spanish use their superior light cavalry to threaten the flanks.

Things started well.

Got interesting.

And then started to fall apart.

I kept trying to throw sixes, but only managed to do so for Cohesion Tests.
 
But still, things were close and with a bit of luck I would break the Romans.

Those combats could go either way...

But they went for the Romans.


5 comments:

  1. A field of white markers.

    So we have two recent illustrations of substituted figures performing badly...

    I must make an offering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we need to go back to running pure armies, although not necessarily of an Aryan kind.

      Delete
  2. But we are only fielding substitute figures for a small number of league games. So that's forgivable, I hope...

    I'm still gunna make an offerings to Fausta Fortunae, and Fausta Felicitas. And buy new dice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't tell me my Lancastrains have had their day.!

    ReplyDelete