Thursday, January 28, 2021

Carthaginians versus Late Imperial Roman (East)

In my first and last League game for this season, my well seasoned Carthaginians failed to defeat Brendan's Romans in his first game of BI in two years.  At least it was an enjoyable game.

My Carthaginians had the advantage in deploying second.

While I adjusted my centre right, both wings surged forward,
in a stroke of look my slingers took out the enemy horse-archers in their first volley.
The green tabs are aides-memoire for the Roman player

The Romans came down off the hill
as skirmishers did their thing, that is, skirmished.

One unit of Libyan skirmishers is lost,
but the other got a shot in against the Romans.

Well, all my charges went in,
but they failed to inflict a critical mass of casualties.
This became a trend.
Even though I had the weight of numbers (as in more dice),
I was unable to score more hits than my opponent.

A couple of bad Cohesion Tests and mounting attrition
and things are not looking good.

My commander and the veteran cavalry have perished.

We keep on fighting.
Again I have the numbers in the combats,
but not the luck to turn that to my advantage.

Finally the Numdians have broken through,
but the Gauls no longer have much fight left.

With the rout of the Gauls my army breaks.


2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I never played Basic Impetus but I might have to give it a go.
    Regards,
    Neil

    http://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are familiar with DBA it is like the next order of magnitude on that game system.

      Some of the concepts take a game or two to get used to. Works with standard WRG basing, although I like the big base diorama style. Works with 6, 15 or 25 mm figures. Rules cover ancient and medieval although games are best between historical foes in my opinion.

      Delete