Friday, June 26, 2020

Trial of Strength - January and February 1943

Richard and I had another session yesterday.

 The Axis start to attack Stalingrad.

 At the same time advancing east from Voronezh.
It is a slow process, so no risk of a breakthrough.

 The defenders of Stalingrad are dwindling.
Reinforcements are heading  to the Caucasus as the Soviets there are being pushed back.

 February and the die roll for Allied progress is negative.
This means the Italians stay around and that the Turks get encouraged to enter the war.

 Stalingrad falls.
Soviets pull back as the crisp winter weather is about to end
and some of their units will be out of supply.

Turkey eagerly enters the war.

Up until then I had been hopeful I could launch an offensive from the south.  There was also one planed for around Orel where I had been collecting armour.  However I think it is time to call it quits.

I also found out I had been overstacking Soviet units and this would have meant even worse outcomes in some previous battles.  

A very interesting game system and the hidden nature of units really makes for a different kind of play.  Armour is extremely powerful and I really needed to have built more forts.  Also would have helped to have had a better understanding of the rules.

This game, along with playing World in Flames at the same time, is also a bit too much Soviet misery!

No comments:

Post a Comment