Friday, June 19, 2020

1/76th ish inventory - Commonwealth

This post kind of completes the inventory of my 1/76th and related scale forces.  There are more models in bits and pieces and quite a few as unmade kits.  So it goes.  Same goes for figures.

In looking at the various things I have included in this post, some are very old and some quiet new.  There is also evidence in evolution of my thinking as to painting, basing and organisation styles.  Note: Some of this units have been posted previously, mainly when I started this blog ten years ago.

 Mainly Airfix.  
There is a Hasegawa Grant and a Matchbox Firefly.  
Some scratchbuilding evident bottom right hand corner.
Some TLC is required.

 What looks like a complete armoured regiment.
Most of the Shermans are one piece plastic castings, brand unknown.
I can see that I lost heart halfway through when the second squadron turned out very green.

 A flash looking Matchbox Humber.

 I'm so fond of this model that you get two pics of it.
Detail looks sharper without the flash.

 This formation has been extensively posted on before.
This is as far as I have got with the great 5oth (Northumbrian) Division - Tyne and Tees.
As someone born north of the Humber I claim an historical connection!

 Some odds and sods (I have many more loose figures).
The three vehicles on the right are diecast by Oxford and are literally to die for.

 Looks like I started out with these guys for Command Decision
 and then started to move to Crossfire.
Note scratchbuilt Boys A/T rifle and PIAT.
The slender Airfix figures have a distinct early war feel to them
(unlike the more stocky Matchbox figures used for the 50th)

Some very old figures, based up for Crossfire.
The extra HMGs are just because, 
but also show a different attempt at a quick basing style.
The cutting of the Vicker's front legs, while tricky, pays off.

8 comments:

  1. Bit of nostalgia there. Are the Fireflys those soft plastic models maybe Airfix used to do?
    Best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fireflys are Matchbox, but the Sherman next to them... Don't know. They are one piece and used to have some kind of motor in them. Hard plastic.

      Delete
  2. Some spendid old Airfix figures there.

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They were the best when they were actually the only thing you could have.

      Delete
  3. A fine set of fighting men and equipment, dude! Probably my favourite in this little lot is the conversion of the horrible bren gunner into a very fine Lewis gunner. I never thought of that one, converting mine into Boys anti-tank riflemen.

    Looking at those bright green Shermans, I'm wondering what the effect of a dark wash and weathering might have.

    Plenty to play with there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      Re the green, I see that the Quads for the 50th had the same issue, but that I persevered, so maybe a bit of treatment is all that is required. I also need to review what paint I used for my 15mm Commonwealth European kit although it is mostly desert.

      Are yes, the Lewis gun. It was a one off, but very successful. For some reason the old Airfix figures lent themselves to conversion more than the new ones, although that might be just me.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yeah, but slightly redundant these days :-(
      Not sure what I am going to do with them.

      Delete