Sunday, August 23, 2015

Galleons of Glory

At the club's games day I took Paul through a game of Galleys and Galleons.  This time I wanted to try out multiple ships per side.

Using my five serviceable Sails of Glory ships (I still have one in a box to unpack and rebase) plus my paper boat I constructed the following two fleets using the online Ganesha fleet builder tool:

British
Points:

 214
HMS Defence
Points 102
Quality 3+
Combat 3
Special Rules
Drilled Soldiers, Flagship, Galleon Rigged, High Castles, Master Gunner, Trained Gun Crews, Veteran NCOs
HMS Sophomore
Points 62
Quality 3+
Combat 2
Special Rules
Drilled Soldiers, Galleon Rigged, High Castles, Master Gunner, Trained Gun Crews, Veteran NCOs
HMS Meleager
Points 50
Quality 3+
Combat 1
Special Rules
Drilled Soldiers, Galleon Rigged, Master Gunner, Trained Gun Crews, Veteran NCOs, Yare

French
Points:

198
Imperial
Points 100
Quality 3+
Combat 4
Special Rules
Drilled Soldiers, Flagship, Galleon Rigged, High Castles, Master Gunner
Aquilon
Points 60
Quality 3+
Combat 3
Special Rules
Drilled Soldiers, Galleon Rigged, High Castles, Master Gunner
Unite
Points 38
Quality 3+
Combat 1
Special Rules
Drilled Soldiers, Galleon Rigged, Master Gunner, Yare


These are all my approximations of the different classes of Napoleonic warships as they might be represented by Galleys and Galleons.  The French Quality could perhaps be lowered to 4+ as I hadn't fully appreciated the Flagship rule.  I also felt that for future, bigger games, frigates could be used to extend the flagship's leadership range.


Set up as per the rules.  I was the French sailing with the wind.

My flagship got in the first shot.

But then a lucky shot from HMS Defence started a fire in Imperial's rigging.

Despite numerous attempts to put out the fire it spread and caused a massive explosion.

Unfortunately we had to leave the game there, but a clear British victory.

At the close of the day I had a quick run through with Simon, but without the frigates or flagship rule (because I forgot about it).  It went badly for the French again (no pictures), but at least I was able to make an escape.

So far I've really enjoyed Galleys and Galleons.  I just have to worry about the coming of the Kraken.

No comments:

Post a Comment