Thursday, March 14, 2024

Letting Go

Two sayings spring to mind:

  • Too much is not enough.
  • SABLE - Stuff Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy.

After religiously following the first bit of advice I am now trying to deal with the second bit.

It is hard to do, but by doing so I earn all important Brownie points with my partner: I've got to learn to let things go, well, a few things.

My Napoleonic focus is clearly 15mm (although I do have some 6mm).  The 6mm came from James and so it was excellent to be able to pass on to him this accumulation of 1/72nd Napoleonic figures, some of which I've had for decades, others only a few years.  Of course I can't just let things go, I had to photograph them and post them here.

But most importantly I had to find them a good home, and in a bit of serendipity I was sitting next to James Fisher in the movie theatre (The Three Musketeers - Milady) and was chatting beforehand.  He had been to Tactics and bought some 1/72nd figures and in the belief that more is better, I offered him some surplus figures I had.  Better still I was able to find them when I got home and drop them to him at the club that evening.  My partner even provided the bag to put them all in, thereby earning me an extra Brownie point (as it was a lovely Koko Black carry bag, not needed, but too nice to just throw out - plus the boxes fitted perfectly!)

C'est magnifique!
But they weren't ever going to be painted and based, 
never mind see the top of a table.

A dream.
Had ideas for some skirmish action,
as well as just much needed support units 
for those Napoleonic campaigns I was going to do in this scale.

This pack is really old.  
I found it in a toy shop and was amazed as it was just what I needed...
But obviously not.

Beautiful for the box art alone.
These were for the Quatre Bras scenario that I thought I would reproduce
 in 1/72nd having already done it already in 15mm (with plans underway for 6mm as well).

Again, for Quatre Bras.
I think I had two packs as they came as a mix of hussars and dragoons,
and I did complete one 12 figure unit.
Better still here is a blog post on them.

Officers were always in short supply, so this pack was a God send.

Excess.
But at least I had plenty of fun with them as can be seen 
herehere and here.

A mixed bag.

And a surprise.



4 comments:

  1. Seeing Napoleonic figures in 1/72 still pulls on the heartstrings even after 35 years! Good that they are going to a fine home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I had to seize the chance to pass them on quickly.

      Delete
  2. They look great in your post—almost as wonderful as in the 'flesh'.
    As the beneficiary of your generosity, it is marvellous to be able to thank you 'publicly' Mark! I took delight in going through them yesterday, adding their numbers and a note of their origin to my database of figures. Most are now washed and some added to my painting queue (more of a mass than an orderly queue, it must be said).
    Thank you again!
    James

    ReplyDelete