Sunday, December 30, 2018

The Caucasus 1942-43

Having twice played the GMT boardgame back in August and September 2014 I finally got around to reading the Osprey book on the campaign.


However the motivator really was that I am currently playing the computer game Hearts of Iron IV online with my friend Bruce (he's Italy and I'm Germany).  HoI IV deserves its own post, but suffice to say we had progressed the invasion of Russia into the Caucasus and things were getting difficult, so I thought I would read up about it (the book was conveniently readily to hand).

Standard Osprey format which can't really be faulted, especially when it is remembered that there are plenty of ancillary books to go with the subject (i.e. on uniforms, weapons etc).

Inspiring artwork, gets me wondering if a series of games for Rommel could be developed.  I expect it would be interesting, but it will have to wait as I need to focus on North Africa.

Back on the Caucasus, all that effort for almost no oil thanks to Soviet's destroying the oil facilities as they retreated.  I wonder how that compared to Iraq?



No comments:

Post a Comment