Monday, November 25, 2019

First and Last Byzantine Skuotai

One (and the emphasis is on one) of the first metal figures I ever painted was this chap, Minifigs PB150, Byzantine infantryman.  Not sure I knew what Byzantine meant back then (mid 70s).

His spear was broke so I made a replacement from a paperclip.
I also cut him off his base as part of my "flat basing" strategy.
But one was all I did and I think all they had for sale in the Pultney Street model shop in Adelaide. 
 I recall the figures were all loose and jumbled in a big barrel.  
No wonder the spear was broken.

 But now I have my sixth legion of Byzantine infantry.
And to mark the occasion I used the same shield pattern.

 Front and rear rank all ready for Impetus.

 Now a days my figures are blessed with much more interesting bases,
and no longer cutoff, but built up with plaster.
All that remains is to add some flags.

2 comments:

  1. I like the spectacular shield pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think I need to take a group photo of my Byzantine army. I've got two units of light infantry (Manichei - ferocious heretic slavs) and two Turcopoles underway and one unit of Varangians to rebase and that will be it. Then it will be time for a group photo.

      Delete