Monday, January 2, 2023

Legions of Rome and The Romans - An Introduction

I am very tardy in my book reviews, principally because it is not something I consider to be one of my strengths.  This post is more just recording that I have successfully read two books - go me!

After seeing all my recent posts on the Roman units I had completed, Mike offered to lend me this book.  As I have said my knowledge of Roman history is poor although something I have always wanted to improve on.  This book was an excellent primer on military affairs.  The entries on individual legions was interesting and gave an overview to the scale of the Roman investment in this aspect of their armies.  Given the passage of time and lack of records, it is probably as comprehensive as it can reasonably be and avoids too much conjecture although covering all relevant theories in a balanced way (most notably the disappearance of the 9th Hispana).

The articles on the battles I enjoyed the most.  They did have the feel of being individually and separately written, but this was a minor issue.  Enough was provided to give a good feel for the endless wars, scale of engagements and vagaries of success or otherwise.  What I hadn't fully realized was just how much the Romans fought amongst themselves - they clearly needed some better succession planning!

This second book on the Romans I was reading independently.  My daughter acquired it for a University course she enrolled in and promptly dropped.  I picked it up, paying her for it, good dad that I am, and put it aside to read. That was five years ago or more.  When I started painting Romans I figured it was a good time to start reading this book.  It was slow work (reading it primarily before bed) but immediately proved valuable in filling in some detail behind the Barbarians at the Gates and Sword of Rome games.  As the book says on its cover, it is an introduction.  Comprehensive, but not an easy read - the author(s) being more academic and less accessible in their style than Stephen Dano-Collins.

The book is supported by a website which I have not yet had a look at, but which strikes me as very helpful if I want to follow up on various topics.

Anyway, now I have become a dangerous man as I now have a little knowledge of the Romans. 

 Beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment