Saturday, January 21, 2023

Ancient Paper Buildings Almost Ruined

A project I am working on regarding a campaign for Basic Impetus requires a town (which represents Difficult Terrain and functions identical to a Wood as far as I can tell).  But I didn't have any suitable buildings.  I decided to go for immediacy and cheapness especially after I found two suitable buildings on https://papermau.blogspot.com/ 

One was well within my skill set, the temple was a bit more challenging (I ended up reinforcing or rather adding as formers, match sticks to the steps).  Lots of fun and perfect for the job.  But what if they get wet?  I have a special fixative, but on reading the label and finding it was gloss I decided just to use my regular matt varnish.

Now, my colour printing was already a bit subtle to begin with, but the varnish has or could have if I wasn't such a light touch, faded things even more.  Ruined!  Well, not quiet, just baked under the unrelenting rays of the Mediterranean sun.




Given the homemade low quality nature of most of my terrain these will do nicely.  Of course, having made these two building I find a much more imposing Ancient Greek building on that site, but I think my skills have been tested enough for now.

A town only appears in Basic Impetus on a roll of a double six and even then there are options, so hopefully two buildings will be enough.

Final comment.  I was thinking/planning to make bases for them, but now think this is not necessary.  They are both weighted with wooden internal bases to stop them blowing away due to a slight breeze or a sneeze.

9 comments:

  1. The buildings worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. more buildings of any kind are always good

    ReplyDelete
  3. They came up rather well Son of York! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They will feature in the first battle of our Alexandros Campaign

      Delete
  4. They look good. Your making more is a sound plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There is a simple pleasure in making something out of paper. The Papermau site has a lot of interesting projects to consider.

      Delete
  5. The house looks vaguely Minoan with its colours so gives an extended era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minoan as recreated by fin de siecle French artists perhaps. Having been to Knossos I can certainly see the resemblance with the square building. If the columns on the temple were earth red then there would be even more of a match :-)

      Delete