Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Byzantine Cavalry - Completed

With this post I can now say all my Byzantine figures have been completed.  Possibly a first for me - a totally completed project.  They will even be going into battle tonight.

 From the Tin Soldier Hellenistic range, but doing nicely for Skythians, 
especially after some minor conversion work on repositioning their aim.
Ever since starting to play with Impetus I've wanted to do a light cavalry base like this.

Apologies for the background, I thought the table cloth wasn't as patterned as it has turned out to be.

 Generic Kavallaroi, but yet to have their flag fitted.

 The Byzantine Greys, famous in my family for their shield pattern which was taken from a tea cup, that my daughter had brought home from work.

 These are the Byzantine Bays, with their special Archduke Piccolo lances.

 Some javelinmen converted from Tin Soldier Hellenistic range slingers.

And here is my Byzantine collection in one setting.  
Should provide plenty of options for fielding Basic Impetus 2.0 Byzantine related armies.

12 comments:

  1. Great looking army. What size are your unit frontages for 15mm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The base width is 8cm (two of the standard WRG bases).

      Delete
  2. Excellent additions to your Byzantine army! I am fond of placing light horse archers on exactly the same formation for Impetvs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The ability to do or rather utilise vignette bases for these rules is excellent (and I'm finding the same goes for Rommel).

      Delete
  3. What a splendid looking army. I think my favorites are the 'Byzantine Bays' - obviously an Imperial Tagmatic outfit - but I do like the 'teacup' shield pattern on the Byzantine Greys. Like you, I am of the 'brightly coloured armies' persuasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Your comment is much appreciated.

      The Bays were the last unit to be painted and I had perfected gluing on shields and also, the use of the wire lances that you had provided makes a big difference to their visual appeal as well.

      Delete
    2. Be careful of the lance heads. They will hurt if you approach them wrong, and they will break. But I like them!

      Delete
    3. I was just thinking about those Super-heavy guys and it occurred to me that you could arrange them a bit like three of those HC units, only with a more 'formalised' wedginess ( a more geometric) trapezoidal shape. You would probably really want 12, rather than 10, figures to the base, but a tighter arrangement of 10 would probably work.

      Delete
    4. I used super glue to glue the lance heads to the shafts secured by the pennant. Then I did a few coats of PVA glue. Being on the big base should reduced handling risk (mostly).

      The super heavies I've left as they are, will be handy as a DBA element one day may be. For now the greys fill in for heavy cavalry - CP1 in Basic Impetus 2.0 classification.

      Delete
  4. Great looking army! I also like the bright shields! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The shields I deliberately avoided when I gave the figures a black wash.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete