I painted the horses at the same time I was painting my WW2 Australians – there should be a distinct similarity in colour between them and the Australian rifle stocks. It was just a background task and progress was slow, but then I put them onto my “one colour a day” program and voila!
The hardest decision as always was just how much detail to attempt. As an elite unit I did a little bit more than normal.
The only problem I had was the officer. He was cast with his arm straight out to the side, parallel to the ground and perpendicular to the horse. I based him by himself (as in just three figures on the command base). But it just didn’t look right and so the next morning, bright and early, I took a firm grip of his arm and bent it down. It was if he understood and relaxed his arm to point down. Then I cut figures off the base to rearrange them to the standard four figure configuration.