Sunday, September 4, 2022

Ye Olde Parthians

As mentioned in my previous post, once upon a time, back in the prehistoric 1970s, I commenced building a Parthian army.  Turns out I got as far as three cataphracts (Minifigs - all with repaired lances if my memory serves me well - paper clips providing the replacement) and four  horse archers (constructed from Airfix figures - top half Ancient Briton bowman, legs from US cavalry and horse from Napoleonic Cuirassiers).


My first attempt

Trying a different style.

I actually rather like these guys.
A lot of the tunic would be from plasticine!

In all cases I was going for the ultra flat basing style.


6 comments:

  1. Impressive Airfix conversions!
    A friend from a long while ago had a DBA Parthian army where he painted the horse archers in UK football team colours!
    My own Parthian 15mm DBA army sits undercoated awaiting paint.....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. As for colours, I have some Greeks I did in my old primary school colours - red, white and black. More recently I used some designs from tea cups for inspiration for Byzantine shields. For Parthian horse archers, jockey strips might be an option. Lotsa fun!

      Delete
  2. I do like the converted horse archers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The early armies we make always are a bit smaller than the later ones.
    The Airfix conversions are probably as expensive as the cataphracts 😊 Three boxes to make 4 figures! I probably have some of these if you need to make more. Just say so and I will send to Simon 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my early armies were single figures and any units I was able to construct just companies or battalions.
      The legs and horses were plentiful, the Ancient Briton archers less so. If I was ever to return to this scale and figure type I would try Hat first :-) I did that for some Roman cavalry to complete my Airfix Roman DBA army - and I have a matching Airfix Ancient Britons army! Sadly haven't been used :-(

      Delete