Thursday, September 22, 2022

Sicilian Arabs versus Nikephorian Byzantine

I took this matched pair of armies to the club and suggested Steve run the Byzantines as I was keen to see if I could do any better with the Arabs than they had in their previous encounter.  I couldn't.

The Sicilians out scouted the Byzantines and felt confident with their deployment

The Byzantines won every initiative role,
but that was not such a problem.

The Byzantines deliver some effective bow fire,
which was more of a problem.

The Sicilian centre is wiped out.

Berber lancers out for revenge

Byzantine commander with the icon of Saint Zoe

There is a bit of a ruckus.

And it's not getting any better for the Sicilians...

In fact it is getting a lot worse...

Game over


5 comments:

  1. I don't think I've laughed so much due to captions on wargaming photos in quite some time. A tragedy for the Sicilians, but glad you kept your humor about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I thought I had things set up well, but it was with bemused dismay as I watched my best laid plans unravel.

      Delete
  2. I was wondering what seemed different about these Byzantines since your earlier depictions of them in battle. I looked back. Then it dawned on me - I'd never seen their shield patterns before - or, if I had, had no memory of them. Suffice it to say - those skoutatoi look most spectacular!

    This looks like a pretty decisive victory for the Byzantines. No doubt the conquest of Sicily is marely a matter of time...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very decisive.

      As to the shields, yes, in the games if I am running the Byzantines you normally only get to see their rear. I should look at doing a parade post of my Byzantine army.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete