Thursday, June 6, 2019

Nikephorian Byzantine verus Jin Chinese

Only a 100 years apart plus a few kilometres...

From his never ending hoard of armies, Dave ran Chinese.  I stuck with my Byzantines.  Which way would the Fortune Cookie crumble?

 Dave got to deploy the terrain, but then I had to deploy first.

 Turn one and I'm trying to move my cavalry command from the right to my left.

 Turn two sees lots of bow fire, but with little result.

 And then the Chinese commander gets rated Genius!

 While my dude gets downgraded!
Grrr.
I hadn't been winning the initiatives and this just made it harder.

 Turn three and my cavalry have just about finished their shuffle.

 Turn four and there has been contact in the centre 
(I fared badly when I forced to reroll a cohesion test).
At least I was inflicting casualties on his heavy cavalry.

Turn five and my foot command will break and take my army with it.
My cavalry just couldn't manage the one extra casualty 
on that enemy light cavalry unit on the far left, 
that would have produced a draw.

I guess the Chinese get lamb for dinner.

2 comments:

  1. In Ancients battles, I have found that if you get your dispositions wrong, you don't get time to correct them. But what army wins every time? I'm enjoying these little encounters...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true (both points). If I'm going to keep running this army as one foot and one mounted command, I think, especially if I lose the initial deployment roll, I should deploy the cav behind the infantry and then move them as required. The Light Cavalry can do so very quickly.

      Delete