Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Nikephorian Byzantines versus Classical Indians

Yesterday it was the turn of Mark Woods' Classical Indians to feel the wrath of my Byzantines.  Sadly it appears my Byzantines are all wrathed out.

 Even though the Indians had to deploy first, 
I decided to deploy in a double line 
so I could shift my cavalry to where they would do most good,
having learnt from my previous game.

 But things got off to a bad start when my CinC was downgraded on his first initiative roll.
After this I never got the initiative :-(

 The Indian chariots pull back, 
my cavalry goes to my right 
and I throw my skirmishers out to cover my left.
Who says my general is not an expert?

 End of the second turn and one of my skirmisher units has been blown away.  
Damn!

 By the end of the third turn both sides are busy shooting at each other, 
but with little effect.

 My light cavalry successfully takes out the enemy cavalry.
I got two hits and Mark threw a 6 for cohesion.
Poof!

 The end of the fourth turn and the losses are about equal.
I just need to get the initiative to capitalise on an advantage...

 But it was not to be.
End of the fifth turn and the elephants had made a mess of my left flank.

 On the sixth turn the enemy chariots arrived.
My cavalry were in action, but it was all too late.
Victory to the Indians.

What follows are some close ups from the final turn, showing key engagements from both sides' perspectives (as I am so used to looking at the back of my units I thought it would be nice to capture a few images from front on).





No comments:

Post a Comment