Thursday, April 19, 2018

Songs of Drums and Pith Helmets

Regardless of how this game played I knew it was going to be a success as it meant that I finally got to use my new terrain mat, plus the some of the Mahdists that I had recently finished as well as some British opponents for them that had come into my possession.

I thought Songs of Drums and Shakos would be easy to adapt and it was except I couldn't find a point system.

There were two squads of British each of one officer and five infantrymen.  The officer was Q3 C2 Leader armed with pistol and sword.  The infantrymen were Q4 C2 armed with rifles.  The leader gave a plus one to Q if they were with one long.  The infantry didn't have to reload.

There were four mobs of Mahdists, each with a flag bearer, drummer and three to four swordsmen.  The flag bearer was Q3 C2 with the ability fervor (which allows a warrior to reroll one fail if they are in range).  The drummer was Q3 C1 and acted to extend the range to one long.  The swordsmen were Q3 C2 and armed with a sword which gave them a bonus in combat (+1 for better weapon).  All the Madists move fast (one long).

 The Madhists were positioned randomly based on a dice rolls (using the benefit of the 12x8 grid).
The British squads entered from each end and had the objective of meeting up in the middle.

 The Mahdists were quickly able to attack Mark B's squad.

 As controller of the Mahdists I kept them hidden as best I could by the terrain.

 Mark B's squad is being overwhelmed.
The red dots represent deaths.

 Simon's squad also came under fierce attack.

 After a gruesome death, the remnants of Mark B's squad flee.

Simon's squad fight valiantly on, but the Mahdists are relentless.

I had only given the force composition limited thought, but was basically happy with it.  Perhaps I had too much terrain that limited the British superiority in long range fire.  Often they were attacked before they could get a shot in, so maybe an overwatch action is required.

Regardless, it was great to get the figures and terrain into action.

6 comments:

  1. What a memorable game.

    The Mahdists were gorgeously painted - well done.

    The British you obtained were first-rate too.

    Hindsight is a lovely thing, and my squad shouldn't have been so keen to enter terrain that favoured the Mahdists.

    The plethora of hills was perfect for hiding the sword waving fanatics from British rifles.

    The poor British were outnumbered 2:1, and now that I look back on the game, it's unsurprising that they were obliterated.

    I look forward to another crack at the Mahdists, ideally in the open 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and well said. I am sure you will be able to take the field again and redeem the honour for Queen and Country.

      Delete
  2. table looks great, enjoyed playing Rommel on it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to get a good number and variety of games using that mat.

      Delete
  3. Always fun when you get some new terrain and miniatures on the table. Game looked good and the game may super. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just need to set up a narrative for future games to bind them together to tell a story. I think this would be a fun multiplier.

      Delete