Basing is a bit like washing up, it comes after the fun but must be done. Actually basing can be relaxing and with the right mindset it is not too torturous. Suitably motivated and with some atmospheric music playing in the background I set to and finished the basing for Mark B's Sassanids.
The challenge was matching the basing style to the rest of the army (a sample being the base with the horse holder). After a few tests I found a good colour in the Jo Sonja's range - Provincial Beige. That was applied over a coat of coarse texture gel (the paint could have been mixed in and thus saving a step, however the gel seems to impart a glossy finish so that was to be avoided). This worked well for the foot archers, but the bases of the horse archers were a bit thicker so they end up getting a base of plaster before the gel.
The bit that hasn't shown up to well is the dry brush of VJ Desert Yellow. I was concerned when it when on that it was too thick, but it seems now to have dried very close to the base colour. Odd.
Finally the flock was applied and also used to cover any base edges that remained prominent. Sadly I can't remember the brand of flock.
The proof of the basing will be in how the troops fight on Wednesday night.