Sunday, September 23, 2018

Princess Royal Fortress - Albany

This was my second visit to this fortress in Albany and first since the new ANZAC centre had been completed.  Worth visiting just for the views alone.  I ended up cutting my tour of the ANZAC centre short as it was all getting a bit depressing, plus I realised my companion was waiting for me.

 There are two gun emplacements you can freely clamber around plus other installations.

More information about the site and what is there. 

What I found interesting was that it was started twenty years before WW1.

I know other forts in Australia were commenced earlier due to concern about Russian expansion.  My guess is the German colonies in the Pacific spurred on this upgrade to Western Australia's defences.

Princess Royal was in operation during WW2 but its guns were never used in anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment