Thursday, September 21, 2023

Nikephorian Byzantines versus Middle Imperial Romans

Club Basic Impetus League competition game against Brad's Romans.

An unexpected cavalry heavy Roman army.
My Byzantines were out scouted,
but I got the pick of the terrain, securing my flanks with woods.

Nothing happened.

The initiative only once went my way,
but regardless, we advanced.

And advanced some more.

And started to shoot.

The Romans didn't like that,
and having again won the initiative,
charged.
The Byzantines lost two units,
but their position held.

The fighting was all in the centre
and was desperate.

But the Byzantines started to prevail.

Victory!

In that last turn the poor Varangians were shot up by the Roman artillery and charged by their cavalry.  But they held on.


4 comments:

  1. Ho for the Greeks! Tell you what, in ten years (after a near run defeat in 1994 or thereabouts) my 10-11th Century Byzantines never lost to a Roman army. After 2004 I pretty much stopped
    playing Ancients/Mediaeval, so I can't count the more recent 20 years...

    Great army, the Nikephorian Byzantine, though I more often used the Constantinian, so that I could get 'home battles' more often. I think just about every battle my Nikephorians fought were 'away games'. Aggression 4. Wild bunch.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to recall that the Nikephorians were a powerful army in WRG 7th Edition. With Basic Impetus their army list gives them some good flexibility. I ran cavalry heavy and was surprised to be matched by the Romans running a lot of cavalry. My opponent had put a lot of thought into his options.

    ReplyDelete