Saturday, March 12, 2022

Songs of Blades and Heroes on Mars

Been a good while since I last played Songs of Blades and Heroes.  Simon had reminded me about some figures mounted on blue parrots (his description) that I had.  I knew they had been languishing and after seeing a post about Ganesha Games relocating because of the strife (don't mention the war) in Ukraine, I thought now was the time.  I also became a patron of Ganesha Games, see here: https://www.patreon.com/ganeshagames/posts

One of the things I really love about Songs of Blades and Heroes is how adaptable they are.

The Red Martians I modelled on elves, Q2 C3

The Flying Men of Mars (could be the title of an Edgar Rice Burroughs book) based on hyenas, Q3 C2

There is a significant points difference and so I made the Flying Martians move Long, with auto disengage and pass thru and a knock down combat result caused them to lose their flying ability until they took off.  

I made all this up on the spur of the moment, or a I should say "I winged it"  In retrospect I should have made a flying creature only able to be attacked by one enemy until they were knocked down.

The big mistake however was forgetting that activation rolls needed to be higher than the Q number, not greater than or equal to.

Made for a quick game, but no beer or pretzels were in consumed during its play, although one Red Martian commander was seen having some wine, red wine of course.

As to the photos, normally I do more trimming round the edges, but as play commenced in each corner this was proving impractical.

The aim was to secure the crashed alien space craft which had crashed around 1889
and had been kindly provided by Simon.
Simon and Curtis each had a team of three Red Martians on foot and three mounted.
I commanded the two teams of Flying Martians, my favourites.
Each team was represented by a playing card the draw of which determined their move sequence.
I used purple dice that were prone to throw ones, Simon had little white dice which preferred to roll six.

The better quality Red Martians made a dash for the craft.

The blood of the Flying Martians started to blot the landscape

A gruesome kill saw the Flying Martians flee back to their corner.

At least one Flying Martian made it to the alien space craft to see what all the fuss was about.

The Flying Martians are being slaughtered :-(

The final fight for the prize

A win for the Red Martians.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. I can take little credit for the figures, cheque book wargaming as Simon would say.

      Delete