I had purchased the deluxe (it came in a tin) DVD boxed set a good many years ago after thoroughly enjoying Band of Brothers. So I knew I had something to look forward to if I was ever laid up. Thankfully the opportunity has only recently arisen, when I was in need of some convalescence after some hi-tech medical intervention to tune up my heart (AF ablation - highly recommended if you have an irregular heartbeat and advancing years. Get in before it becomes an issue and you have to compete in with Covid clogged emergency departments.)
It then became a race against time to finish the series before I went away on some r&r (which seemed to be in keeping with the pace of the series and perhaps deployment in the Pacific Theatre).
Not as good as BoB as I found it muddy in both ability to follow dialogue (wish I had used subtitles) and to recognise who was who (as in combat one marine looked very much like the next). By halfway through I had started to understand what was happening (and it also helped that I knew a little about the Pacific campaign). Certainly brings home the horror and senseless destruction. A quality production, although I was conscious that it had been filmed in Australia and that knowledge, rather than any visual flaw, kept springing to mind.
As it neared to a conclusion I found myself wishing that it had been a proper documentary with non fictional characters. I was totally surprised when the end credits popped up showing the actors and the real person they were based on and a small note about that person subsequent life. Thankfully most of the marines who survived went on to lead decent lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment