Saturday, August 19, 2023

More varnish woes

My attempts to apply matt varnish are turning into a nightmare.  I have posted on the outcomes to recent WW2 models which thankfully varnish looked like elaborate weathering effects.  

https://onesidedminiaturewargamingdiscourse.blogspot.com/2023/06/more-varnish-woes.html

https://onesidedminiaturewargamingdiscourse.blogspot.com/2023/05/sd-kfz-2509-2cm.html

https://onesidedminiaturewargamingdiscourse.blogspot.com/2023/05/109-grams-of-soviet-artillery.html

Subsequently I did a test or two and decided that it was the varnish I was using that must be faulty in some way.  

Today I bought a new can.  I gave it a good shake for well over five minutes.  Spraying conditions were prefect, no wind, dry and about 20 degrees centigrade.  I decided to do a little test first.  It seemed fine so in high hopes I proceeded to do a back log of Napoleonic limbers.

Arghhh!!!

Luckily the result became quickly obvious.  A close look at the test I had done also showed some mottling when I looked closely.

Hopes dashed.  To make things worse the Matildas went on to lose 2:0 to Sweden.


12 comments:

  1. Which companies spray varnish is this ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one I use, successfully up till now, is Vallejo Matt Varnish.

      Delete
  2. I would only use brush on varnish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used brush on gloss varnish for effect on some model parts in the past, but spray works best for helping secure flock basing material. Also haven't found a matt varnish that works apart from the spray one I have been until now using successfully.

      Delete
    2. AK Interactive ULTRA MATTE (AK 183) - this stuff works !!!

      Delete
  3. Ye Gods and quel horreur, that must have been some snow storm! Fortunately I don't 'do' matt varnish.
    Is the problem the spray varnish or the surface you're applying?

    Hard lines for the Matildas: they are a good side, and if they were outclassed by England and Sweden, it wasn't by all that much I reckon. I watched those games. Australia contributed a great deal to the quality of the football on both occasions. Plenty to build on there.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what my problem is - bad batch, poor technique. I have tried different surfaces and that doesn't seem to change the result. A friend has suggested I might be too close, so I will give that a try (spraying from further away). Probably should do some Goggling of my problem as well.

      I watch very little sport, but the Matildas have grabbed the nation's attention (well, at least my family's) and it has been a nice experience watching the teams - very exciting. Hate the penalty shoot outs!

      Delete
  4. I think you might be too close, ideally 20-30cm is best. I've been using the same varnish over the last couple of weeks and had no issues after initially ruining 12 months work with my Carthaginians (which was remedied by a brush on gloss over the top). I think these ones are too far gone unfortunately

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bad luck with that and I hope the figures can be saved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, would seem to be a question of chance or technique.

      And now I have a new job to repair the damage. Lick of paint should do it!

      Delete
  6. Mark you should be able to reclaim the figures/model with brushed on gloss varnish which should reset the matting agent in the problem coat. Then reapply a test coating by either brush or can. Remember that too cold or too hot weather conditions will increase the risk of mottle on Matt varnishes mate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Humidity can be a big factor too with rattle cans. As you mentioned, also distance. I always shoot a couple of spurts out with the can upside down to make sure the nozzle is clear before beginning. (I do the same when I finish spraying.) The worst is using white primer when you think you’re sealing finished paint jobs! Been there. Done that. Twice over the decades. Windsor & Newton makes great brush on acrylic matt & gloss varnishes if you want to go that route.
    ~ Tom T

    ReplyDelete