Monday, August 13, 2012

Napoleonic Polish Infantry from Airfix French Infantry

I started these in the 1970s with one of the light infantry just to see how it would go.  The conversion was mainly just some carving and them painting.  The plume was a pin thickened up with some nail polish hardener. 

I liked the result so much that I ended up completing the whole unit, the grenadiers coming from the AWI British Grenadiers set.

A recent post in the Napoleon’s Battles Yahoo Group touched on these types of conversions.  I have a few more I should get out and photograph for posterity.


  1. Excellent work! I'm relieved that my own attempts at painting Napoleonics in the '70s haven't survived...

  2. Very nice. Takes me back to the 70s when Airfix was the only game in town for plastics and we converted their handful of French and British Napoleonic sets into every army under the sun.

  3. Excellent work. Not only the painting but the conversions!

  4. Thanks for the comments guys. It was good to get these figures out, even if it was just for photos.

  5. I just bought two of the airfix waterloo giftset reissues, one to keep figures as is, and the other to have bods to convert. I prefer doing conversions the old fashioned way and your blog has given me some great inspiration

    1. Thanks. Conversions are lots of fun. The Poles are special as I went on to do a whole unit. I did other conversions, but generally just the one figure as a test case.