Friday, October 9, 2026

Shanghai Trader

Classic game first released in 1986.

Richard had the British concession, Russell Japan, Jeff Germany, Stefan US, Simon Russia and I had the French concession (or should I say French Connection).

Naturally I secured the French Club with the nice little earner in the Bastille Day Bash, but with little else.  Simon embarked on a Customs Swindle as well as running the Lido Nightclub.  Richard had the Currency trader but ran into trouble with some Russian thugs.  Jeff had control of the racetrack, which was a good earner for him, although I did win twice.  Russell had control of significant infrastructure and Stefan had the shipping company.

I had a lucky escape from the brothels of Old China Town, but Simon fell victim to the Terror of the Tongs who fleeced him for $100,000!

Stefan made an early escape pursed by the Lido courtesan, quickly followed by Jeff and Russell.  All were well supported by bodyguards and survived a few assassination attempts.  I then got to the airport but had to wait till the very last turn to get a flight out, just as the little red books were being printed. While at the airport I dodged a few bullets but thought best to hire some assassins to remove the remaining competition.  That put paid to Simon and Richard but left blood on my hands which I quickly washed off.

On the surviving concession holders checking their International Bank Accounts, Jeff had $250,000, Russell $350,000, I had $400,000 and Stefan $450,000.


2 comments:

  1. The award for best personification of a gangster goes to Simon as he made the most of his rackets once they got going, extorting about $50,000 a turn between Customs Swindle, Lido Courtesan and Bubbling Well Road Monastery. That's before takings from the Gala Performance too. Clearly stood on a few too many Tongs' toes and was shanghaied! Surprised no one (other than myself) took a shot at Stefan as he tried to leave. Literally a missed opportunity for some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Simon the racketeer! Stefan did well and took heed of the advice he was given.

      Delete