Thursday, August 8, 2019

Nikephorian Byzantines versus Scythians

Last night at the club, my Byzantines faced Andrew's Skythians.  It would be interesting.  Only challenge was my mind was still caught up with Basic Impetus and it was only Andrew's third game with Second Edition, but at least he had read the rules and that corrected numerous errors on my part.

 Standard deployment.  
The Scythian horse archers are either 3 or 4 strong and that is what the counters denote.
(Thanks Dave for lending me the camp, I'd left my sheep at home.)

 Turn 1 and action is immediate, with arrows flying everywhere.

 Turn 2 and the casualties start to mount (or I guess dismount in terms of the cavalry units).
Note my cavalry is perfectly ready to charge.

 It only gets better when the enemy commander is downgraded to poor.

 Turn 3.
I was one step ahead of myself, now my cavalry is ready to charge!
(The enemy needed to come a bit closer)

Turn 4.
The perfect charge was a fiasco, but we came good in the subsequent fighting.
My cavalry command ultimately broke, but it took out the main Scythian command, 
including killing its now doubly poor commander.

Two things to check:  

1. Does use of the Die Hard tactical card negate the need to do a Cohesion Test?

2. For a Unit with VBU=3 what is the Worn and Exhausted levels? (I assume 2 and 1, but the chart has 2 and 2 ...)

A look in the Impetus 2 Rules thread found this answer: A unit of VBU 3 is exhausted when it takes one loss. http://impetus.darkbb.com/t1261-worn-or-exhausted?highlight=VBU+3+worn


No comments:

Post a Comment