Thursday, August 22, 2019

Matador Trucks

You can never have too many trucks and when Richard offered me two spare Zvedza kits he had spare how could I say no?  Add to that I always had a soft spot for the Matador from the release of the truck and 5.5"gun by Airfix way back when.

There was only one challenge.  I couldn't decide on the desired camouflage scheme.  Well, I knew I should try Mickey Mouse, but wasn't sure about black so I went with a flat earth instead.  Very subtle.



After showing the first truck to Richard, he showed me his black Mickey Mouse camouflaged trucks.  They looked good, so I thought I better give it a try.



I'd mixed a little red in the black and as can be seen gave a good dry brush of buff.  The only problem was the silver paint I used for the windows seemed to be repelled by the window frames!  No matter how close I painted the paint recoiled in fear and loathing.  Luckily it can only be seen on close inspection.

Now I have two trucks with different camouflage schemes.  Not an issue I hope.

6 comments:

  1. This might help you out? Drew http://www.mafva.net/other%20pages/Starmer%20camo.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I used the Blandford book and articles from Military Modelling, but the link you provided had a good summary. Of course getting the shades right in a paint range presents a challenge and that I think caused my problem with the first truck's scheme.

      Delete
  2. Looking at your vehicle windows have you considered using either a blue wash over the silver or even a solid DARK blue colour with a medium blue highlight L shape in the lower left or right corners? Try is as an experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen this done, but I've usually had success with silver. Maybe some experiments are in order, but first I will try a different silver paint.

      Delete
    2. Windows generally have two effects, they are either very dark because unside it dark or they often reflect what is surrounding them when viewed from above or at eye level.

      Delete
    3. I was spoilt growing up with Airfix trucks and not needing to paint windows.

      I have a theory as to what was affecting my silver paint - contaminated water.

      Delete