Thursday, August 15, 2019

Alexander Empire versus Classical Indian

This week it was the turn of my Hellenistic forces to take on Dave's Indians.  400 points Impetus Second Edition.

 I had the advantage with the deployment.

 In turn one I made a double advance with all except my right wing cavalry.
Unfortunately I forgot to move my elephants.

 Turn two saw the loss of one of my light horse,
but the successful, if inconclusive, engagement of my pikes with the enemy.

 The enemy elephants waiting their turn.

 Turn three and the pike units engaged, but were repulsed by, the enemy elephants.

 The enemy elephants' counterattack is held up by some extremely brave Persian slingers.

 The enemy subgeneral gets upgraded and rashly advances.

 Turn four and I have swung round the enemy right flank,
while my right still holds, although thining fast.
More importantly the fighting in the centre is starting to go my way.

 Top down look at the action in the centre.
I used only one tactical card while Dave seemed to have an endless supply,
and he used them to good effect.

Turn five and the enemy army is totally broken, 
with their CinC killed as well.

My army performed well, although at times just couldn't get the hits.  Dave's shooting was significantly below par, but his use of Tactical Cards kept his army fighting.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. Pikes and elephants make for a fun game.

      Delete
  2. Nice battle report! Is impetus second edition very different from first edition? I have first edition, but never bought second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      Having now played a few games I can definitely say Impetus Second Edition is better. The army lists are basically unchanged. The only thing that is a bit over the top are the Tactical Cards, they seem cheap and too plentiful and powerful. Can be left out.

      Delete