Saturday, September 7, 2013

Borodino in 25mm using Napoleon's Battles

These are scans of pictures from a large game fought in the 1990s sometime.  It was a refight of Borodino using Napoleon's battles 1st edition and 25mm figures.  It must have been in the early 90s as I was into 5mm at the time and later swapped into 15mm.

The figures are from David Gray's collection and he hosted the game.  It was either preceded or followed by a refight using 5mm - a game of which I sadly have no photos, although I provided the terrain and some of the figures.

I can't remember the names of all the players or the outcome.  I do remember it was exhausting and that we ate a lot of pizzas.

Anyway, for the historical record, here are the pictures:

Initial deployment from the Russian side.


View from French left.


View from the French side of the initial set up.

Another view from the French left and while not 100% sure, I think this is the wing I commanded as Eugene.

All the figures were metal and I remember the table being weighed down.  The battle is also very cramped as can be seen, especially on the French right.  I can only guess at what is going on in the following pictures.





Update

As luck would have it I did find some photos of the 5mm game and they can be seen here: http://onesidedminiaturewargamingdiscourse.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/borodino-in-5mm-using-napoleons-battles.html




4 comments:

  1. Good looking game Mark. It's great that you still have the photos.

    You *are* having fun going through your collection at present aren't you?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that does look impressive SoY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NB at 25mm scale looks impressive!
    Rafa

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a real pity I don't have pictures of the 5mm refight. While a lot more practical than 25mm, the visual beauty of the game is very different. I recall a comment from a passing non-player that in 5mm the game looked very grey or something to that effect. You just don't get the colour and splendour of Napoleonic uniforms in 5mm.

    ReplyDelete