Thursday, October 22, 2020

Iberians and Lusitanians versus Early Achaemenid Persians

Trying out another army derived from my Carthaginian purchase.  This time up against Drew's embryonic Early Achaemenid Persian.  It was a near run thing.  In what I expected to be a quick game and home to watch Wallander, turned out to be a gruelling, nail biting drawn out affair.

Deployment.
Given my army is near all light foot, I put down one wood.  
Drew placed the lake.  I went for a field and Drew finished with another wood.  
Interesting!

Turn 1 and I decide to send my cavalry to my right flank.

Turn 2 I send them back after the Scutarii get badly shot up 
(the joy of a single six to hit followed by a six on the cohesion test)

Turn 3 and the same fate befalls my right flank cavalry.
This was only Drew's third game with these rules so there has to be an element of beginner's luck,
but with both my flanks compromised things were not looking good.

Turn 4 and my centre has collapsed when the Mercenary Celtiberians evaporated
after a less than successful impetus charge.

Turn 5 and I'm trying to stabilise my flanks and recover the centre.

Turn 6 and my efforts have met with some success 
although that rogue Persian light cavalry unit in my rear is a worry.

Turn 7 and things are tense.

Turn 8 and the Persian light cavalry's mischief has been stopped.
The Elite and Veteran Iberians are starting to get to grips with the Persians.

Turn 9 and the Veteran Iberians have performed extremely well.
Their Elite compatriots significantly less so (all that high living has a cost)

Turn 10 and the Elite Iberians have continued to perform dismally.

Turn 11 and after a desperate charge (Ace in the Hole)
 the few remaining Elites grasp victory from defeat
Actually it was the Veterans that won the battle, 
but the Elites control the town cryer
It was ever thus.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment