Monday, February 10, 2020

Two Pz IIIs and a 5.5"

After  a break of four months I returned to Tactics for some retail therapy and purchased four models for my growing WW2 15mm collection and to get ready for the next Rommel scenario I wanted to try.

The day after my purchase I started the clean up and assembly process.  Oh dear, one kit had a part missing.  I emailed Battlefront and a replacement was on its way.  That left three kits.  One was going have a base coat of German Grey, but the paint jar was empty.  No problem I had a spare.  Whoops, spare can't be found.  This of course coincided with a long weekend so no dashing to the shops.  Never mind I still had two models.  The second Pz III was going to have a dark sand base coat.  Again, the paint jar was empty.  WTF.  I knew I had a spare, but no matter how much I searched I couldn't find it.  So down to one model.  I had the base colour for this one.  I picked it up and it promptly fell apart in my hands.

 I prevailed.

 Always loved this gun since my first Airfix kit of it and the Matador.

 The base is rather plain, except that I cut into to secure the gun trails.

 A bit too small for the application of decals.

 Although I did find one spot.

 This kit is the from Battlefront's Tanks range and is all plastic.

 Sadly the second transfer fell of before I had a chance to varnish it.
No idea what happened to it.
All I know it was damn fiddly!

 Same model, but without the flash.

Really liked the opened hatch.

The fourth model is a Grant and Battlefront sent me a complete replacement.  This meant, scrooge that I am, a work around has been made to the kit with the missing part to render it usable.  The two are now a work in progress.

Of course, I have now found my spare paints.  I had put them one drawer down in my painting desk as the main drawer had reached capacity.

4 comments:

  1. Always the way isn't it? At least you are one Grant up. Have you considered an ARV?

    Regards, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can doubt a lot of science, but Murphy's Law always stacks up.

      As for the Grant... Simple answer to your question is no. Stay tuned however, I've just applied the last transfers. This time they will get a coat of varnish and then a spray of the VJ matt varnish I'm now using.

      Delete