Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Barsoom

Ever since I was a teenager I have been a fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ sci-fi tales, particularly the Martian series.  Of course I wanted to game the books and bought some figures by Hinchcliffe. 




In the thirty plus years I have I had them I have completed one plant man and have a red maiden and warrior partially completed.  What stopped me was getting a flesh tone I was happy with.





Today I stumbled across this post: http://hordesofthethings.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/warriors-of-barsoom.html.  So I now know there is a Peter Pig range of figures in 15mm.  I have HOTT and knew it provided Barsoom army lists, but didn’t know of any figure ranges.  A bit more searching found a blog dedicated to Warlords of Mars (http://martianwarlords.blogspot.com.au/2009/05/peter-pig-fantasy-green-and-red-men.html) and also a Yahoo Group Barsoom Gaming (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/BarsoomGaming/).

The later provided some links to more figures that might mix in with my existing ones and be used for skirmish games (which I would consider seeing if Song of Blades and Heroes might work).  Obviously this is a long term project or two.


The other Barsoom related game I have is the SPI Barsoom role playing adventure game, which I always wanted to do with figures.  http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3369/john-carter-warlord-of-mars

6 comments:

  1. "So I now know there is a Peter Pig range of figures in 15mm"

    And an even better one from Black Hat as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also own the SPI game, and even though I consider it a great part of my collection (I think it may qualify as the only commercial licensed Barsoom game even to this day) I do not enjoy playing it that much. Unnecessarily complex rules and too many disjointed mechanics.

    Btw, nice that you joined the BarsoomGaming group. Though low-volume, it is a great group and anyone interested in the subject should join up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I posted (spelling corrected) in reply to the Barsoom Gaming Group, although with the recent Yahoo upgrade I have no idea if it will get there:


    To BarsoomGaming@yahoogroups.com

    Thanks for the welcome. I would have responded earlier but this new upgrade by Yahoo is, well, you don't need me to tell you.

    As for the Plantmen, I have an abundance of them too.

    My Barsoom HOTT army or figures for a skirmish game will be a project for next year. So I will hopefully post more then, as my ideas crystallize.

    For skirmish my initial thought is to use the overall structure of the SPI game to give narrative to the games, but use figures and the mechanics from a rule set like Songs of Blades and Heroes. However, this is a long term, you could say life time, project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do so love this Hinchliffe range. There was a great range from Heritage Models Inc around the same time. Quite a few JC posts on my old school blog;

    http://www.deartonyblair.co.uk/search/label/John%20Carter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent blog you have there, great resource for Barsoom! You're a champion. Now if only I can get back to painting some more of my figures. And having a few skirmish games using them.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. It's a labour of love!

      Delete