Friday, April 7, 2023

Nikephorian Byzantine doesn't fight Imperial Spanish

This was a club league game against the dreaded Spanish Imperials.  Strategy wise I should have declined the game and denied my opponent a point, but, well, that would have been mean...

My plan was to go infantry heavy and mass against one of the Spanish flanks.
That required winning the scouting roll.
I didn't.

Immediately the Spanish artillery started firing on my units.
That would be deadly for the large units
so it was skirmishers to the fore.
Meanwhile we had a light cavalry dance develop on the right flank,

I decided to keep to my plan and focus on the left flank.
Thrusting to my light cavalry to keep the enemy busy on the right.

Sensing this the Spanish left move down off their hill.

Moving forward the Spanish light cavalry dash forward,
while mine are shot up by the Spanish harquebusiers.

At this point I had a careful look at the factors and units.
I had 8 units, the Spanish 9.
But the critical thing was my short bow was 0/1 short and -3/0 long (inf/cav)
The harquebus A is 1/2 and -2/-1
Then there is the Spanish artillery, but more critically their musketeers.
The musketeers were busy being spotters for the artillery,
but their factor is 2/3 and -1/0.
They could easily out fight my slingers (0/1 and -1/1).
So what to do?

In the only excitement of the game the Spanish light cavalry charged one of my units.
They got 3 hits (on five dice), but I got 1 back (with three dice).
On the subsequent Cohesion Test I lost three, but they lost three as well!
(Another six on a D6 will do that)
Result: Stand off!

Subsequent combat saw my light cavalry prevail
which momentarily opened up an opportunity.

But the Harquebusiers finished the light cavalry off,
so I decided to stick with my new plan.

A skillful careful withdrawal.

And look, there's the table edge.



2 comments:

  1. A prudent withdrawal Sun of York.

    At this point, I could start ranting about nonsensical, non-historical games, that the League competition forces players to endure.

    I think the withdrawal says it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basic Impetus is not great for out of period conflicts.

      Delete