Friday, October 4, 2019

Nikephorian Byzantine versus 100 Years War English

In the first game for the Club's Impetus League 2019-2020 competition my Byzantines were drawn against Geoff's English.  Information on the competition can be found here:
https://napoleonicwargamingsociety.blogspot.com/2019/09/impetus-league-2019-2020-starting-draw.html

The battle went for fifteen turns.  I think that is a record.

 Despite my cavalry advantage, I was out scouted and had to deploy first.
The wood and enclosed field on my left are difficult terrain,
the other features are just broken ground.

The English seem a bit defensive...

 Turn 1.
I shuffle my army to the right.
This causes disorder throughout the ranks.

 Turn 2.
I rest and my army recovers its order.
Skirmishers are sent out on the right to block the English longbow.
In a bit of good fortune my slingers are immediately successful.

 Turn 3 and another shuffle to the right.

 Turn 4 and skirmishing continues on my right,
now reinforced by some light cavalry.

 Turn 5 and scratch one unit of enemy longbow.

 Turn 6.
The enemy are now shuffling about trying to form a line.

 Turn 7
My army wheels from the right.
My slingers are doing excellent work in keeping the enemy longbow busy.

 Turn 8
The only fighting is on the right.
My legions are armed with short bow and it just doesn't have good factors at long range.

 Turn 9
A round of ineffective fighting,
while the main bodies are still forming up.

 Turn 10.
Another unit of English longbow flees the field.

 Turn 11.
Action now commences on the left
after the enemy skirmishers have decided to come out of the wood.

 Turn 12.
Both my light cavalry units have been mauled,
even my general's unit has taken casualties.
On the right the remaining English longbow have turned to their rear,
 to engage my light cavalry who have come on their flank.

 Turn 13.
My legions are now in short range and laying down a lively bow fire.

 Turn 14.
My left flank and general are in jeopardy,
but the same could be said for the enemy's left...

Turn 15.
And so it came to pass.
As my general is literally down to his last man,
news comes that the enemy centre and left have all fled.
Victory!

2 comments:

  1. My own Nikephorians have had to face 100YW English before now, and dealing to those longbow ain't what you'd call easy! A great and glorious victory for the Empire of Rome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Next battle is more a civil war as my Nikephorians will be facing Late Eastern Imperial Romans in what is planned to be a 500 point Impetus Second Edition game (normally my 2nd Ed games have just been 400 points, but I think I have enough figures now to field a larger army).

      Delete