Sunday, October 13, 2019

Napoleon's Battles via Scharnhorst

I had not got my act together for the Club's Games Day and just thought I would go with NB Scenario One yet again, but then I had a thought, let's front end it with Scharnhorst.  I'd done this successfully before a few years back, but had not got around to trying it again.

I had a quick few tests and went with just three movement points representing an hour (which is two on table turns).  That seemed to work.

Stephen went Prussian and Simon French while I umpired, adjudicated, pontificated and made things up as I went a long, with occasional consultation.

 There were three hours of marching about until the French declared battle.
The table was C4, C5 to E4 and E5.
As can be seen it had two nasty rivers running through the battlefield.  
Fordable, but rough.

 Facing west.
The Prussian Advance Guard which was in E5 is moving to join the Prussian 1st Division 
that has just arrived.  
Their 2nd Division is marching to the battlefield
and will arrive in about four turns.

 The Prussians suffered badly at start.

 But when their reinforcements arrived...

They were able to fight to a standstill.
The French centre was weak and the two flanks separated
making further combat problematic.

The Order of Battle was as per Scenario One which is set in the Revolutionary War.  Using Scharnhorst made for a much more interesting game and holds lots of promise.

Here are a few extra photos that Stephen took:




5 comments:

  1. Good alternative to just setting up two forces for a battle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also gave a bit of flavour to the game as reading about the period always indicates a lot of marching about prior to a battle.

      Delete
  2. I wish I'd been there. The frontend seems interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needs a bit of perfecting, but a great way to get into the feel of the approach of battle and produce interesting deployments.

      Delete
  3. I wish I'd been there. The frontend seems interesting.

    ReplyDelete