Thursday, July 18, 2019

Nikephorian Byzantine versus Late Imperial Roman East

My new generals took my army to face Dave's Romans in yet another tense game Impetus.

 Deployment.

 End of the first turn and my army got in the first shot.

By the end of the second turn my army's archery appeared unstoppable.

 But turn three brought this upset.
I had almost double the dice, but could only get one hit.
In the subsequent cohesion tests Dave pulled out all the tricky tactical cards he could.
Result was a major loss to my command.

 Turn three did see a more positive outcome when some of 
my light cavalry ran down all the Roman skirmishers on their right wing.  
They died in the process however, so it was a bit of a Pyrrhic victory.

 Turn four and I had to throw in everything I had to rout this Roman unit.
I did it, but had to use all the rules in the book, plus some Tactical Cards as well.
My cavalry unit, the Byzantine Greys, took two casualties making them exhausted,
but were able to get the one hit on the Roman legion 
that was all that was needed to get an accumulated loss
and their subsequent demise.

The rout of that unit broke the Roman Army's morale,
but it was damn close thing.

4 comments:

  1. Looks great, beautiful and colorful armies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Nice miniatures make all the difference.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for the new generals being victorious!
    Now to continue that winning streak. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was pretty chuffed with my victory, as narrow as it was. You need lucky generals as well as good, nicely turned out, generals.

      Delete