Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Shiver me timbers

I have six Sails of Glory models. It seemed like a good idea at the time and they certainly do fill a need.

What I don't really understand is why they are so fragile...

 Both the foremast and the mizzen have broken at their respective bases.

When this happened to the Imperial, it was a clean break and I drilled out the deck, placed a hollow metal tube in the hole and reshaped the remaining mast and plugged it in (see this post).  I expected to do the same with this frigate.  I even noticed I had had a go at gluing/strengthen the mast before.

But the breaks weren't clean - as in the mast still had a little "connection" with the deck.  So I thought I would try gluing once more.  This time I first applied a dab of super glue and applied pressure to straighten and close the crack in the mast.

I'm not sure what I expected but it seemed to work.  Then I set to doing about half a dozen coats of PVA glue over the same number of days in a do-it-yourself decoupage, not d√©colletage, strengthening exercise although the latter term has merits.  I regularly use PVA glue in this way to strengthen bayonets, spears etc on my miniatures and believe it can be an excellent varnish (although it is cglossy and must be applied sparingly).

Repaired with the masts now standing proud and dare I say, perky.

4 comments:

  1. Sailing close to the wind there. :)
    The ships look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice repair work. If your inclined, I’ve seen people add a little rigging to these ships with good effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      I've tried rigging with the paper ship I made and I was happy with that. However I'm not currently prepared to make the investment to do the same with these SoG ships.

      Delete