Friday, February 23, 2018

Airfix French Hussar Conversions

A recent post by Carlo of a figure based on the classic painting of the French cavalryman on the rearing horse reminded me that I had a similar figure somewhere.

 Airfix British Hussar body, French Infantry head on a US Cavalry horse.

 These are very old.  The inspiration came from a Military Modelling Magazine article.
"Hussard's Jerome Napoleon" (C07)

 Sadly I only did six.  I recall I really liked how the Humbrol scarlet turned out.

 If I thought six was sad, I only did two of these 7th Hussards. (C06)

 They seem to have stood the test of time,
although that might be more nostalgia than anything.

At least together they make two bases for Napoleon's Battles,
not that they see any action.

Looking at that last photo I now surmise why I only did six.  I ran out of the scarlet paint I liked so much.  I did a good job on the plumes (would have been pins with probably plasticine, nail polish and/or lots of paint).


8 comments:

  1. Very nice! Airfix hussars have always been my favorite cavalry, except for the horses...they always leaned over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      Yeah, can you see the lean on the 7th Hussards figures. The trumpeter's horse as well. But the horse going straight, seems okay. I think there was another horse pose that was a bit "different".

      But it was a good set, magic in its time.

      Delete
  2. Now that’s very impressive Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo.

      I'll update the post when I find the Military Modelling article, but these figures could be forty years old.

      Delete
  3. Those are very smart indeed and you're right, that red is very nice even after 40 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. All block painting, very limited shading and painted on detail. Young eyes can achieve so much.

      Delete
  4. A terrific looking unit and Airfix figure conversions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      Nostalgia value very high. When all there was were Airfix figures... simpler, but challenging times.

      Delete