Friday, June 16, 2023

More varnish woes

Hmmm, well I was blaming atmospherics for my varnish problems: too hot and now maybe too wet.  But this is the third time, luckily all on WW2 models were it just adds to character.  It is a new canister of Vallejo Matt Spray Varnish I have been using.  The previous one had no troubles at all except once which was attributed to weather (I have some US infantry with a thin white tinge to their helmets.

The batch of artillery had the varnish turn to dust as it was too warm (my theory), luckily it doesn't detract too much and even adds a bit of a weathered feel to the models.  Featured in this post.

Beaut little Zvedza kit, those rocket crates are in three parts and were a challenge to construct

A layer of snow/slush perhaps?


The magnification rendered by the photos exaggerate the "damage" done by the varnish.  To the naked eye, especially with the distance on the table top, it will look fine.

2 comments:

  1. same thing happened with my 6mm Carthaginians, fixed it by using a brush on W&N gloss varnish but I'm not sure that would work in this case. The trick with spray can varnish is to agitiate them, 10 minutes is about usual for me these days.
    You could just say that it is winter white wash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess it is good that I am not alone with this problem. I did give the can a good shake, but only a few minutes. I will try for ten and then do a test. I have some Napoleonics to varnish and they will not take kindly to a "winter white wash", but that is a great descriptor for this rocket carrying halftrack's paint job.

      Delete