Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Model Mystery Monday - Matchbox Sherman Firefly

Another one from Paul Foster's blog, http://plasticwarriors.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/model-mystery-monday_26.html

I had made one of these back in the 1970s and here it is:

As per the kit only with hand painted insignia.

Sometime in the 1980s or early 1990s I picked up a heap of 1/72nd scale stuff, so I now have five Fireflies in various states of repair/painting.

I also picked up a lot of standard Shermans and this is one completed squadron.

I started to add a second squadron but had a disaster with the paint.

And there is enough for a third squadron too.

Went the paint didn't go as expected I was also hit with a bit of self doubt: what was I doing?

Not sure what rules I was thinking of, could have been Command Decision or Spearhead.  Anyway, Paul's mystery model gave me an excuse to get them out and feature them in a post.

4 comments:

  1. And a good excuse it was. Self doubt? Think of it as a good excuse for a revisit project.

    Nice to see these bad boys out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice collection, I only have two

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had that Sherman! The ruined bridge section saw a lot of action in my WW"2 battles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That second squadron I wouldn't worry overmuch about: just carry on with weathering and what not. It is my belief there isn't really a 'correct' colour for uniforms and vehicles, whatever the regs might indicate. Paint and dye batches change - ask anyone who has had to touch up a house!

    ReplyDelete