Why play one game when you can play two. I see I even have a label to accommodate this type of activity.
Five for Qugong. For Russell it was his first time, but Richard, Jeff, Stefan and myself are old hands, well, perhaps not so much Stefan who was lucky to get an audience with the emperor on the last turn.
Richard (yellow) wins beating me (pink) by one point!
Jeff (white), Russell (red) and Stefan (blue)
My vineyard.
The board.
Oh! I won.
(I'm burgundy, Richard yellow, Jeff white and Stefan blue).
Commentary from Richard.
Hi everyone
Thanks for playing yesterday and welcome back Russell who was dropped
right into the thick of a new game.
We had another fun game of Gugong.
Some interesting game play observations. The Great Wall area certainly
seems to be a great points generator, but as I found out, being behind
on intrigue can cost you dearly especially if someone has a double
servant. Mark was able to get multiple Great Wall VPs by being able to
exploit the wall being largely complete with 3 of my servants and
sometimes one or two or someone else's by placing his double servant
and/or one other, winning the tie and then being able to reclaim the
double servant with intrigue points. I got stuck on the wall because I
ran out of servants because I bought that Level 3 decree early in turn 3
and wasn't able to do a lot after that. Ironically, this decree ended up
saving me in the end, but couldn't have got any closer.
Which canal rewards to take are certainly a tricky decision. The extra
card can be an advantage, but the double servant seems to offer a
significant advantage, especially for the Great Wall area.
Interestingly in this game the travel area did not get nearly as much
attention compared with last game.
By far the most interesting game play, however, came from Stefan who
decided to try a sprint finish to the Palace of Heavenly Purity in the
final turn.
For future games, at some point I think we should introduce some of the
modules from the Panjun expansion to keep things challenging.
Viticulture was good too, but I always feel this game is too much of a
race especially with all VPs being public. You really only have a very
limited number of turns and if you don't get decent card draws there is
not a lot you can do and then the end game state is triggered. I do have
the Tuscany and Bordeaux expansions so would also be interesting to play
with them at some point to see how the game play changes. Overall a nice
relatively low stress game.
Thanks again for playing. The next multi-player session will be on 30th
July. I will be back in touch before then to advise the game(s).
Regards
Richard



No comments:
Post a Comment