Friday, August 6, 2021

Back to the races

Chariot races that is, featuring my new special 3D white chariot with tasteful black and red trim.  It was a bitter disappointment!

There were two races.  I only recorded the first.  In the second we had one death, one badly injured rider who nevertheless regained his chariot and another badly injured rider who retired (took his chariot and went home - me!).

And they're off!
Dave lifts the barrier and my chariot (white horses) is in Lane IV
Jeff is in Lane V and Mark (Indian) in Lane III
Out front we have Dave (red blankets) in Lane II
and Russell (green blankets) in Lane III

Round the bend and Russell is out front.

But Jeff is catching up.
At least I'm coming third, but I'm also coming last!

Russell improves his lead

The pack is tight as we round the second bend.

Could it be that the Indian heavy chariot isn't cut out for this kind of work?

Dave pointing at my chariot
I don't think in a good way...
Russell is still in the lead,
but things remain close as we start the second lap.

Things can change quickly,
Dave and Mark are now in the lead.
Jeff is hanging back to pick up the extra dice for "lucky last"

Dave is out front,
but it is still anyone's race at this stage.

My chariot can't even pick up lucky last!

Rounding the bend and I'm going out wide

Dave adjusts the lap counter - we are now on the final lap 

At this stage it looks like Russell is the clear winner.
I'm coming last
Not fair!

The other chariots are left in Russell's dust.

But wait, there is still some excitement left.

Dave has stolen the lead and just look at those Indians go!

Almost a photo finish,
but there was a call to the stewards.
Dave's win was declared void when the rules governing the use of the lucky last dice
 were found not to apply to the wining streak.
(I should point out that Dave writes the rules, often during the race!)

But hey, I've just seen I came second.  Not too bad for my new chariot.  

It was Mark's first race and he was using one of his Indian chariots (that had fought my Arabs last week).  Good win!


4 comments: