Friday, May 3, 2019

Burgundian Ordonnance versus Richard III Yorkists

I have now read the new Second Edition rules for Impetus and was ready to take on Dave's Yorkists in a roughly historical match of longbow and knight versus longbow and knight.

 The Yorkists got to deploy after me which gave them an advantage,
or rather denied me the opportunity to best place my units.
There also seemed to be a lot of them (we were playing 400 points).
Note the carpark top left, not a good choice for a terrain pick I think
(the forests on the flanks were my choices).

 End of turn one.
The Yorkists sit there, but I had already decided on full advance.
As they had artillery this turned out to be a good idea.

 On turn two I take hits on my right,
but on my left rout one of the Yorkist bow units.
I've also managed to get my handgunners into the woods on the right.

 Good omen!
My CinC is upgraded to Genius.
(Note to self - I have to redo my command cards)

 Turn three and the enemy fire on my right is taking a toll.
I'm pushing forward, but favouring my left.

 Turn four and I've taken a few hits.
I'm not altogether happy about how things are going...

 Turn five and my right is now my centre.
My left flank is now in close range.

 My opponent desperately wanted the initiative and played a card.
In what was a theme of his play (he played 12 cards to my one in total, I had two spare at the end),
nearly every card he played was a fizzer.

 Turn six and an attack on my centre (on the unit of crossbow) has been repulsed.

 Turn seven and my knights are moving into position.
My situation is precarious as my army is one unit away from breaking.

 My left wing commander can't be upgraded any higher, 
but at least his expert status is locked in.

 Turn eight and we are locked in combat,
however the advantage is with my side.

 My knights are still at full strength,
while the enemy to their front distinctly less so.
That's Richard III himself on that green caparisoned horse (careful what you ask for),
about to be consigned to the carpark on his right.

It wasn't the Battle of Bosworth,
but close enough.

The game raised a few issues that I need to check out.

1. Can a unit that has already been activated subsequently perform reaction fire later in the same turn? (page 39)

Yes.  http://impetus.darkbb.com/t1296-reaction-fire-after-having-fired-in-the-turn#9936

2. If a unit is making a second move and receives reaction fire, does it test for disorder first as part of the second move or does it do that after the reaction fire has been resolved?

Yes if Defensive Fire, but not if ZOC violation (which occur immediately).
http://impetus.darkbb.com/t1297-sequence-of-testing-when-making-second-move#9937

3. After a general is moved to join a unit, can it subsequently move with that unit in the same turn (page 11)?

Yes (but I'm not convinced).
http://impetus.darkbb.com/t1298-can-a-general-move-with-a-unit-after-attaching-same-turn#9938

4. A group that charges and wins, although with not all units fighting, make a group pursuit move?

No. http://impetus.darkbb.com/t1299-group-pursuit-move-if-not-everyone-fought#9939

Note: This post has been edited to include answers and references to the questions.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent report Mark and I am particularly enjoying your turn by turn photography of the battle. It is something I am determined to replicate at sometime soon. Looking very giood indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo. A lot can happen in a turn, so picking the right "rate"of photographing a game could do with some thought. However anything too complex will distort the rhythm of play. But it is great to have a record of games.

      Delete
  2. How did your opponent get 12 cards? The most they could get is 8 (ie. 24 points.) We find the cards under priced and have decided not to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, my bad. He most probably just had 8, it just seemed like he had 12 (or more). With respect to my opponent I felt he was using them rather frivolously.

      Delete
  3. I am most the way through building a R3 army at the moment. My opponent is a friend for another club who wants to use Henry Tudor 1485 so I invited him to the club to get in a practice game on 2nd June. https://drewjarman.blogspot.com/2019/04/king-richard-iii-army-at-bosworth-field.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My medieval army is fairly limited, but the lists and options seem quite extensive.

      Delete