Pages

▼

Tuesday, September 22, 2026

De Gaulle - Part One

I'd seen a previous movie on De Gaulle in 2012 at the French Film Festival here in Perth, Western Australia. It covered the critical six weeks in May/June 1940 plus back story to De Gaulle's family. I found it to be a very moving film due to the scenes with his family fleeing as refugees with a handicapped daughter.  This new film, while not associated as far as I know, effectively takes off from were that movie finished.  


The political twists were amazing and also how De Gaulle was able to bounce back after various setbacks.  There was much I didn't know and while I am sure there was a good deal of artistic licence (which generally makes for an engaging movie after all) I consider it an excellent war movie, up there with anything the Americans have produced.  

One thing I found interesting was only one passing reference to the Russians and nothing that I can recall about the Italians.  The major battle depicted, Bir Hakem, certainly involved, on my follow up research, significant action against Italian forces.

I am looking forward to part two.

6 comments:

  1. On Labour Day, I was fortunate enough to catch a double feature of both films at my local repertory cinema here in Montreal. Truly amazing he bouced back, not only from the actions of the enemy but of his "Allies". France had need of DeGaulle in the darkest days of the war. It is staggering to consider the political maneuverings the Allies engaged in to back collaborationist figures rather than De Gaulle. Vive La France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. De Gaulle, not trusted enough by the other allies to be told the actual date etc of D-Day. Tells you everything you need to know about him and the Free French after the Dakar debacle. Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might be covered in the second part. Dakar fiasco was blamed on fog in the movie and also the actions of Darlan.

      Delete
    2. In the 2nd film he is informed of D-Day by Churchill two hours before the invasion begins.

      Delete
    3. Plenty of time! :-)

      Another movie I'm looking forward to seeing is Pressure.

      Delete